Family Law Attorney Relocation

Generally, if a parent wants to relocate with a child more than 50 miles away from his or her principal place of residence at the time of the entry of the last order establishing or modifying child custody, the relocation must be agreed upon in writing by both parents, or approved by the Court.

The legal procedure for a parent to relocate or to seek to prevent the other parent from relocating with the child is very specific and time sensitive.

There are many factors considered in determining whether relocation should take place including the impact of the move on the child and the child’s best interest.  Under specified circumstances, if you relocate with your child(ren) without the written agreement of the other parent or a court order, the Court may impose sanctions, such as force you to place the child(ren) with the non-relocating parent.